Thursday, October 18, 2007

Why I Write Poems...

I've always had a knack for rhyming poetry. I enjoy it and, I'm told, I'm pretty good at putting something cute together. I get requests for invitations and homemade cards and the like. I fully credit my early reading experiences for this ability.

When I was a kid, my dad was in the military and we lived in places where television stations were not only limited but frequently in a different language. My mother subscribed to a service that sent books to our house. Dr. Seuss was a huge favorite. She'd read the book to us once or twice and then I'd read the story over and over to my brother. Because of Mom and Dr. Seuss, I learned to read when I was four. I've also carried the nickname "Cindy Lou Who" because of my love of the Grinch and fondness for Whoville types. In addition to the rhyming, I think my outlook on life has also been greatly influenced by the work of the good Mr. Geisel, the creator of Dr. Seuss.

In "Two Words. No Explanation." one of my favorite bloggers, Driving With The Brakes On, gave the answer, "Dr. Seuss," for the favorite book line. It reminded me that I'd written a poem about my Seussiousness a while back. I went hunting, found it, and am posting it now for your amusement and/or ridicule.


Dr. Seuss
I have loved Dr. Seuss from the moment I met him.
His books were the greatest when my mother read 'em.
She'd go to the mailbox and there she would find
The best books ever written -- the Dr. Seuss kind!

I learned how to read them when I was just four
I'd read them three times, then I'd read them some more.
His rhymes they were lively and filled with excitement.
I'd read to my brother; his eyes filled with delightment!

Seuss made up new words when the regular failed.
His fantastic new creatures were richly detailed.
Far away places with strange sounding names,
Star-bellied sneetches playing odd, sneetchy games.

He introduced fear with a Christmas-time terror.
The Grinch was a mean one, not a glad tidings bearer.
He struck fear in the hearts of the happy Who people.
From the houses on main street to the church's tall steeple.

But a moral could always be found in his tales.
Even when the suspense had you biting your nails.
He taught of acceptance and laughter and knowing.
Of hearts that were tiny but soon began growing.

He told us that all is not all that it seems
That even the mean ones have hopes and dreams.
The lessons I learned from the good Dr. Seuss
Have helped me to put my own thoughts to good use.

I look for the best in all the folks that I meet
I'm an eternal optimist with wings on my feet.
I believe that all people: mean, nice, young or old
Might just end up having a heart made of gold.

The unfortunate fate that I suffer's quite clear, though
I put strange words together in an odd kind of lingo
I find that rhyming has become a therapy of sorts
And throw poems together by the seat of my shorts!

2 comments:

Marcia said...

It seems that, my friend of blog- wordi-girl fame
You could be poet laureate – just one in the same
As that Seus-icall guy - as a tot you adored
By your rhyme and wording, I now am quite floored.

I love to write poetry – it’s just so relaxing
Especially after a day that’s been taxing
To take all your thoughts and give them a spin
And see the results give to someone a grin.

Keep up the rhyming with any words that you please
Putting forth that Seuss effort with a snicker or sneeze!
Get Grinched-Up and think of the Cat-In-The-Hat
Ah, the simple times – what could be better than that!!

Ima Wurdibitsch said...

YAY!! Marcia! I love your poem! I'm not the only rhyming freak of nature out here!


(Thanks!)