Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Chantix Works But I Can't Take It Anymore

Around 7:30 this evening, it will have been a week since I last smoked.

Now, when I get that "I want a cigarette" feeling, I just take a deep breath (it helps) and tell myself, "I don't smoke." And I don't. I thought about not going to play pool (temptation and all) but I really don't think I'll have a problem with it. I do believe I have it beaten this time.

I still occasionally have that little voice suggesting how great a cigarette would be but I don't want to take Chantix any more or again. It worked and it got me over the initial physical and chemical addiction. It just made me feel so awful that I had to quit taking it. I didn't take it for the recommended full 12 weeks. I only took it for one week. And while I had to stop taking it, I believe it really helped me quit.

While I was seriously depressed when taking it, fortunately, I realized it was because of the medication. However, I can understand why they're attributing it to suicide risk in some people. Nausea was a minor problem but nothing I couldn’t live with. The vivid dreams were okay. They interfered with my sleep but I didn’t have nightmares. I just woke up quite a bit. The headaches were pretty bad. The lightheadedness, shortness of breath, chest pain and palpitations were too much. I told MrWurdi on the way home from playing pool last week that if I hadn't read the info sheet and known that these were side effects, I'd be demanding he take me to the emergency room. The effects didn't get unbearable until the dosage doubled (after the first week). I probably could have stopped taking it a little earlier. It works so well in getting you off the chemical addiction. It was nice getting past that part while still being able to smoke (even though I wasn't getting any pleasure from it).

I probably could have continued on the week one dosing but I didn't (and still don't) think I need it anymore. I'm done.

My evaluation of Chantix? It's a great drug that really works to help get you off the cigarettes - if you can stand to take it. I’m concerned that there’s not been enough research done on it and there are going to be some really bad findings (think Phen-fen and Vioxx) before it’s all said and done. I hope I’m wrong.

5 comments:

Marcia said...

Congrats on kicking the smoking habit!! Sorry the Chantix was such a rough ride. I had heard good and bad things about it...and guess you had the latter! Hang in there you non-smoker you!

D-HOR said...

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!! Good for you!!! Oh *BIG HUG* (I know, I'm lame, but that shit ain't easy!)

Oooooo I LOVE to play pool!! Me and C. do it all the time! Are you on a league? C. is good enough to be but I'm still kind of a tard at it. But it's fun. :)

Ima Wurdibitsch said...

Thanks, Marcia! I appreciate the encouragement.

Hor, I don't care if it's lame. I appreciate the cyberhug. Especially since it's from the gal who could be my cyberdaughter... you dirty, little hor. ;-)

I am in a league. In fact, several years ago, I finished second in a regional tournament. I need to play more and get my game back where it used to be. You and C should join a league team. The handicapping systems they use make it great for people of ALL skill levels. Plus, it's fun and gets you out of the house.

Unknown said...

Great job! my doctor is practically coming to my door trying to get me to take this stuff (not really, but he does ask if I want it whenever he sees me). I have heard (even from him) it is a miracle drug, but as you said, yeah, until WHEN.

Anonymous said...

I also am taking Chantix and have been for about 1.5 weeks. I am down to half a pack a day and my quit day is in one week. I have quit twice before. Once for three years and once for two, so never think you have it beat except for one day at a time. I also had a week of depression, but I think it is caused by the nicotine being blocked from my brain. The last three or four days I have felt normal. I went through similar depression when I quit cold turket. It is definitely going to be easier with Chantix.