Monday, November 12, 2007

From Ima's Kitchen - Hearty Chicken and Corn Chowder with CORE-nbread

As mentioned previously, I'm doing Weight Watcher's Core Plan. Because there are certain foods allowed on the Core plan, I'm always on the lookout for recipes that fit my plan. If a recipe is close enough, I'll modify it to fit or just "count" the non-Core ingredients.

The following recipe (modified quite a bit from a friend's recipe) is Core, as is the Core-nbread recipe (just substitutions to make it be Core) that follows. Neither taste like "diet food."


Hearty Chicken and Corn Chowder

1 tsp olive oil
1 tsp onion powder (you could use an onion but MrWurdi has texture issues with onion, so I use powder or pureed onion)
1 clove garlic, minced
1 roasted red bell pepper, diced
1 15 oz. can diced potato
1 small can chopped green chiles
1 1/2 C fat-free chicken broth
1 C evaporated skim milk
10 oz skinless, bonelss chicken breasts, diced
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
2 C frozen corn kernels

In a medium saucepan, heat the oil until hot but not smoking, over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, roasted red pepper, green chiles and potato. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, about 5 mins. Stir in the broth and evaporated milk. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.

Stir in the diced chicken, salt and black pepper, and cook until the chicken is cooked through, about 5 mins. Stir in the corn kernels and cook until the corn is just heated through, about 2 minutes longer. Ladle the chowder into bowls and serve with cornbread.

Makes 4 servings


I made this ahead of time and put it in a crockpot to heat the day we were going to eat it. It was very good. The next time I make it, I will "mash" up some of the corn and potato to get a slightly thicker consistency. The original recipe called for creamed corn but since it's not Core, I didn't use it.

For the Core-nbread, I just use the recipe on the bag of cornmeal and use skim milk instead of regular and substitute applesauce for the oil. You can't taste the applesauce at all.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Canned potatoes? CANNED POTATOES!!!!!!!!

Lean over Wurdi, you've got one HELL of a spanking coming!

wormy - disturbed by the thought!

Ima Wurdibitsch said...

Don't make me bring up the dolmades, Wormy.

Anonymous said...

Hey! Those dolmades are just as good as the ones my Jordanian friend's grandmother made! He said so!

:)

wormy

Marcia said...

Today we honor the veterans all
Who fought for freedom and answered the call
Of Uncle Sam and the U.S. of A.
So many the ultimate price did pay

A parade to honor them, poppies of red
Refrains of soldier songs ring in my head
Proudly wearing their courage once new
They found so bravely for me and for you

Just saying 'thanks' doesn't seem quite enough
For those who braved the war on the front
A lump in my throat, I choke back a tear
And mourn for those that are no longer here

Until days when we see no flag folded such
Presented to a family with appreciation much
Pray for peace in our nation and peace in the world
And pray for the soldiers who our flag unfurled

Anonymous said...

But the real question is, did you burn your face off while making this?

Ima Wurdibitsch said...

That's a beautiful poem, Marcia. I should have done a Veteran's Day post but didn't feel I had the time to do one justice.


Jane, Jane, Jane... I only nearly burn my face off cooking when I'm simultaneously chatting with you. You're far too fascinating for me to try to do other things at the same time!